Facts about Guyana, South America
• Guyana is an ENGLISH-speaking country.
• Guyana is located on the Northern coast of South America, and is culturally associated with the Caribbean.
• Guyana's climate is tropical; it is 7 degrees North of the equator.
• About 85% of the population is of Indian or African descent.
• Guyana is one of the poorest countries in the Western Hemisphere.
• Mercy Volunteers have been serving in Guyana since 2000.
Service Sites in Guyana, South America
St. John Bosco Boys' Orphanage is home to more than forty boys between the ages of 4 and 16. Many of them are home-schooled at Bosco Academy. Mercy Volunteers aid in the day-to-day activities of the home and serve as teachers, tutors, social workers, and sports and artistic activities coordinators.
St. Joseph Mercy Hospital is a non-profit health care facility offering 24-hour care. They offer traditional in-patient services as well as outreach programs including a free mobile clinic and a free on-site HIV testing and counseling. Mercy Volunteers serve as social workers, nurses, physical therapists, occupational therapists, and other health care professionals.
Mercy Wings Vocational Center is an innovative vocational-technical training program for adolescents, between the ages of 15-19, who have not completed traditional schooling. Vocational tracts are offered in carpentry, masonry, plumbing, child care, and catering. Mercy Volunteers teach in the Adolescent Development Program (self-awareness, spirituality, parenting, English, math, the arts), serve as counselors, assist in program coordination and development, and help with finances and accounting.